Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Friday, May 1, 2009
The time for soup is almost over soon I will be favoring lighter foods, but I had to put this recipe up before soup season is done. It is more of a hardy stew full of great veggies and plenty of protein from the Chickpeas, and there are a lot of them!
• 2 T oil
• 1 T butter
• 1 T cumin
• 1/4 C flour
• half a head of garlic (more to taste)
• 1 small onion (I enjoy a bunch of scallions)
• 1/2 of a bunch of celery
• 1/2 of a bunch of carrots
• 8 cups vegetable broth (you might need more if the soup is to dense)
• 28 oz. diced tomatoes (can be canned, I use the tomatoes I canned from the previous season)
• 56 oz. of chickpeas (this is four cans or if you are using dried that you will rehydrate its about four cups dried)
salt and pepper for taste
• 1/2 C raw rice
grated parmesan (optional)
ingredients in large pot
Fine chop of garlic, onion, celery and carrot. Saute in oil and butter until onions are wilted. Sprinkle with cumin and flour, coating evenly. Add broth, stirring with a whisk. Then add chickpeas and tomatoes. Stir until liquid comes to a boil then cover and simmer two hours.
At two hour mark add rice and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Use an immersion blender to puree part of the soup making sure to leave some big chunks and whole chickpeas (do as much as you like!). Serve with chopped parsley, cheese and lemon wedges as garnishes.