Saturday, May 2, 2009

Vegan Apple Brown Betty

This is a vegan variation on the Apple Brown Betty I enjoyed as a kid.  It is probably a bit less sweet then what my Mom makes.  It's a super easy and tasty dessert, served straight out of the oven or cooled!  The trick here is get a firm apple, I enjoy using macintosh for this recipe, but have thought about doing a granny smith and maybe putting a touch of maple syrup in the mix.  But that is for another post this is just straight up Vegan Apple Brown Betty!

apples prepared

Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup quick oats
• 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
• 1/2 cup unbleached flour
• 1 tbsp cinnamon
• 1/3 cup vegan butter (I enjoy "Earth Balance Original Whipped")
• dash of salt
• about 6 to 7 cups of firm apples, pealed, cored and sliced (I cut into quarters and then cut each quarter in a half vertically and horizontally)

topping mixed
Directions:
Combine oatmeal, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt, mix lightly. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, I use my hands to mix this up well, you want it to be crumbly but yet still flaky. After its mixed set it aside. Place apples in a square baking dish (8 by 8 or 9 by 9), and sprinkle the mixture over the top. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until the apples are soft. 



ready for the oven!

Finished and ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment