Monday, February 15, 2010

Sweet Savory Barbecue Sauce

As I mentioned before I have been really into the idea of making my own sauces, instead of using the store bought sauce. This is my second attempt, and although my first attempt was a success I decided to back off a bit on the heat for this time around. I also decided to use crushed tomatoes instead of ketchup it feels fresher and a bit more hardy this way. But the downfall is that it is not as thick so if you baste on the grill expect to baste more. This sauce can be made in advance and be stored up to two weeks in an air tight container in the refrigerator!
Ingredients:
• 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
• 1/2 cup vinegar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1 tbsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp celery salt
Directions:
In a large pot mix the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar over low heat for about five minutes, add the other ingredients and mix well. Cook over medium for about another 30 minutes. It's ready to enjoy!

yum yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment