Sunday, November 6, 2011

Edamame Hummus

This is a new creation for me. Not my idea originally but I put my own spin on it. The regular chickpea hummus is getting kind of old so lets try to hummus other things. I think there is some white bean hummus out there somewhere. This edamame hummus it a tasty alternative, and it is such a vibrant bright green it is really beautiful in the bowl, although my photos don't do it justice.
Ingredients:
•28 ounces of edamame (in pod)
• 1/2 (aprox) tahini paste
• 1/3 (aprox) cup water (more or less depending on the constancy you want
• 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
• the juice on 1 lemon
• salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Boil the edamame as stated on the package instructions, it is usually about six minutes or so.
here they are boiled and ready to be shucked

Next shuck the beans, there are pre-schucked beans out there but they are more expensive so I take the time and do it myself, plus they are great for the composter!

finally done shucking!
Next put the beans in a food processer, you could use a blender here but trust me a food processer works much better.
here they are in the food processer
when the beans looks pretty corse add the garlic and tahini mix well, add the lemon juice, mix again. After this set of mixing you can add the water, if you add to much your dip will be runny not enough it will be very thick, I found 1/3 cup gave me the desired results.
I was going for a thicker constancy
Next add salt and pepper to taste. I find it best to let the dip rest for at least an hour, but will stay fresh when in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days!
Here it is ready to go to the fridge! I really enjoy pita chips with it!
Yum and done!






No comments:

Post a Comment