Monday, May 28, 2012

Spinach Basil Pesto


I love pesto, I could most likely eat it every day of my life and be fine with that.  Taking my love for pesto to the next level I decided to experiment with adding some different veggies.  Okay truth be told, I have a rather large amount of spinach we need to eat before it turns.  So I decided to blend some in with my traditional pesto recipe.  The results - delicious!  The spinach makes it a bit more creamy, cuts the strong flavor of the garlic down as well.  As well as adding some other great vitamins to delicious pesto!  I added this batch to my pesto summer salad
Ingredients:
• aproximently 8 ounces of fresh basil
• 1 cup to fresh baby spinach
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 3 tbsp olive oil 
• 2 tbsp pine nuts
• salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
 Clean the basil and spinach and dry well and place in to your blender or food processor along with 2 tbsp olive oil and blend until the leaves are in small pieces. Then chop your garlic and add along with the pine nuts as well as the salt and pepper to taste. If the pesto seems a little dry feel free to add a bit more olive oil. 


Here is the pesto waiting!

And a happy salad with spinach basil pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment