Monday, July 4, 2011

Declare Your Food Independence

On this July 4 I implore you to take steps to be more responsible and independent with your food. One of the easiest and most fun ways is to grow fruits veggies or herbs. By doing this you form a closer relationship with the things you consume. You depend less on corporate farms. You are also developing a important skill that has been lost by many Americans. And its fun, I have a great sense of pride in my garden and most people I have talked with do as well.

You might say I live in a city I don't have a yard. There are wonderful resources out there for potted gardens. Even if it is basil and rosemary in a window you are taking steps to understand your food better. No green thumb? There are many forgiving plants out there especially herbs go ahead try it and I bet it will taste better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.

If you just don't have the time the space and the desire to grow something please consider shopping at local farmers markets. The food at the majority of farmers markets comes from a 100 mile radius which cuts down on pollution from transporting food. The money you spend at a farmers market stays local and helps out smaller farms so it is a win win!

My personal gardens were small this year mainly because I moved into a new location and was not sure how things would grow. Next year will be a huge expansion for my gardens, they will be eight times larger and have more variety. Here is my list of current garden offerings.

Herbs:
Rosemary, lavender, basil, dill, chives, parsley, marjoram, mint.
Fruits and Veg:
Tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, asparagus, huckleberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, gooseberries and peanuts.


our first tomatos from garden 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment