Sunday, April 14, 2013

Almond Milk


I have seen a few things on the internet about home made raw almond milk and I figured I would give it a try.  I am so very happy I did it was pretty easy to do an probably the best almond milk I have ever tasted.  Make sure you have some cheese cloth on hand before you start the recipe, you will need something to strain the mixture through and even a fine weave strainer won't work.  There are companies that make nut milk straining bags but I am pretty happy with the results from the cheesecloth.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cup raw almonds
  • 6 cups of water for soaking almonds
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 dates (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)

Directions:

Soak almonds at least 12 hours in the six cups of water.
Here they are post soaking
Drain the water from the almonds and rinse well. Place the almonds and 4 cups of water in a blender, plus the optional dates and vanilla if you are using them.  Blend until smooth, you shouldn't be able to see any large chunks of almonds.
before the blending process
Strain the blended almond mixture using a cheesecloth, I placed my cheese cloth in a strainer, which I believe made the process easier.
The cheesecloth in the strainer
This is an example of the almond mixture left over in the cheesecloth
This raw almond milk will keep well in the refrigerator for three or four days, so drink up!
Yum and done!








No comments:

Post a Comment