Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Bread Project: Cottage Loaf




This is the next installment in my voyage into bread making from the book The Bread Bible, authored by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter and I plan to bake my way through it this year. This is another english bread called the Cottage Loaf. It is not baked in shops much these days, the book sites room bring the main issue. But it can be ordred on request.
This was a simple ingredient bread consisting of bread flour salt yeast and water, but something tells me I have not perfected the fine art of knowing when needing is done. This loaf tastes good but I think the traditional cottage loaf should be more hollow on the inside and not as dense. This particular bread was proofed twice and on the second rising it was placed under glass pyrex to keep from expanding to much. Before it goes in the oven the whole in the top was pushed in by my thumb I suspect it is to kind of glue the loaves together during baking. Also this recipe does expand in the oven by a sizable amount.

here it is ready to go into the oven!

from the side
more of a top view:
Yum and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment