Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Green Soup

Looking back on my blog posts for the last year I have realized I have posted a lot of sweet stuff. Mainly because I like those recipes they are fun and I am proud of the tasty results. But I realize I am not painting an accurate picture of living a meat free lifestyle. So be prepared to see more green this year starting with this tasty little number. I call it green soup, look at the finished product picture to see why.
For this soup I decided to use seitan for the protein, this batch of seitan I made and froze in December. If you are not familiar with seitan feel free to use beans or even firm tofu.
Ingredients:
• 4 scallions diced
• 1 full head garlic minced
• 3 carrots chopped
• 8 to 10 ounces of fresh spinach diced
• 7 to 9 stalks of asparagus chopped
• 4 medium potatoes pealed and diced
• 24 to 30 ounces of veggie stock
• 5 slices of jalapeno pepper diced
• 3 to 4 tbsp flour (for thickening)
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• salt and pepper to taste

All veg prepped and ready to go!
Directions:
In a soup pot heat the oil and add the garlic, cook the garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes, then add the stock. Bring to a boil then add the veggies.
veg added
Then stir until all the veg has been coated in the stock. Add a bit of salt and pepper and reduce heat to low medium, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir and taste if you would like more pepper or salt add, now add your protein, I used seitan for this, but remember beans or tofu would be fine too. Reduce heat to low and cover let cook for another 20 minutes.
The soup ready to be thickened
Next add the flour 1 tbsp at a time and whisk. Add another and whisk again, make sure there are no clumps in the soup. After the flour is incorporated cover and cook for another 5 minutes. After this I cut the heat and kept covered for another 5.
Yum and done!


No comments:

Post a Comment