Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Bread Project: Poppy-Seeded Bloomer

Bread is such a big part of our lives. And it occurred to me that other than dessert breads my skills in bread making are somewhat vague. So I am staring a new cooking project focused on bread making from around the world. I purchased The Bread Bible, authored by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter and I plan to bake my way through it this year. This is my first attempt at it. It was a relatively simple recipe consisting of bread flour, yeast water salt and some poppy seeds for garnish. The results were pretty good although I think I need to knead more in the future.
my dough post first kneading
I had to knock back the dough twice. If you are not familiar with knocking back it is the process of beating it back and kneading it again after it has risen. After this process I had to shape the bread and I feel this is where my skills could use some improvement. But considering I will be making many more recipes I think I have some time to perfect them.

the bread formed but not garnished

the bread garnished with a salt water mixture and poppy seeds

the finished results tasty but a bit misshaped
Yum and done!


No comments:

Post a Comment