Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Asparagus Artichoke Gnocchi

I won't try to hide it from you, I love pasta!  I also feel guilty about eating pasta in the winter because I feel I am less active and I don't need all the carbs, so the simple delicious solution I came up with is to add as many veggies to the pasta I can!  I get my pasta fix and I also get more than enough veg too!  This little number was something I made for a friend it was simple delicious and relatively quick.  I used store bought gnocchi and had pasta sauce that I made in a large batch frozen so I didn't have to prep those two ingredients.  I have never tried my hand at gnocchi but I plan to someday, and I always make a very large batch of sauce and freeze it in smaller batches, so when I am ready to use it all I have to do is remember to take it out of the freezer!
Ingredients:
• 16 ounces gnocchi
• 10 to 12 ounces asparagus cut in half (blanched lightly)
• 4 artichokes (I used frozen from trader joe's)
• 10 to 15 kalama olives sliced
• 3 tablespoons capers
• 1 medium onion, minced
• 3 cups tomato sauce
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• optional vegan meatballs
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.  Add the garlic and onion and cook on medium heat for three minutes.  Next add the asparagus and the artichokes and the vegan meatballs if you are using them, then cook for five minutes.  
Now start the water for the gnocchi, after the water comes to a boil the gnocchi have to cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the majority of them are floating.  
Next add the tomato sauce to the veg mixture reduce heat and cover until the gnocchi water boils. Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and now add the olives and capers to the veg mixture.  When the gnocchi is finished drain and add to the veg mixture, make sure all the gnocchi gets some delicious sauce on them!  Add some vegan parmesan if you like and enjoy! 

Yum and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment