Sunday, January 13, 2013

Oatmeal Bake Take Two


I have been modifying this recipe and thought it was time to post my latest results, the original recipe was adapted from the cookbook, Super Natural Every Day, written by Heidi Swanson, this is perfect when serving a crowd for breakfast, but also warms up well for leftovers. In the original recipe she used an egg as a binding agent, but I feel it is not necessary, plus I wanted to make it vegan so no egg required.  I got some blackberries that I wanted to try and I also had some strawberries I kept the chocolate chips but cut down on the amount I also removed the butter and didn't do the chinese five spice or cinnamon.  I also have been experimenting with using some coconut milk, I think my next pass I might use two cups instead of one.  Whatever type of milk you use make sure it is equal amount to the oats.  I have also been toying with the idea of putting the servings in ramekins for a better plated presentation.  
Ingredients:
  • • 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • •1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • •1/2 teaspoon salt
  • • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • • 1 cup blackberries
  • • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • • 2 cups soy milk
  • • 1 cup coconut milk
  • • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375, and prep a 9 by 9 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside a small amount of the fruit, chocolate chips and brown sugar aside to garnish the top. Then mix the dry ingredients together. Then add the fruit and chocolate chips, mix well by hand. Add the wet ingredients and mix well pour into the baking dish and cook for 35 minutes

Yum and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment