Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tuna Free Sandwich

I found this recipe in a recipe archive on my computer.  I have no idea where it came from originally but if I did I would thank them because it is absolutely amazing! I was looking for a sandwich filling to mix it up a bit and I think I have found it.  This is now going to go into heavy rotation!  My only modification to the recipe was that I added the pickle relish and I feel it was a good addition.  Other than that the most complicated thing about this recipe was mashing the chick peas. I think next time I might try to pulse them in the food processor.

Ingredients:

• 30 ounces (2 cans) garbanzo beans/chick peas, drained
• 1/4 cup red onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup dill pickle, finely chopped
• 3 tbsp pickle relish
• 2 tablespoons nori seaweed flakes
• 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground

Directions:

In a large bowl, mash the garbanzo beans with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Do this until you don't have any whole chick peas.  This will take some time but makes for a better texture.  Fold the onion, celery, garlic, pickle, nori, mayonnaise, salt, and black pepper into the garbanzo beans. Combine thoroughly.  I sampled right after they were combined and it was delicious, but then I let the mixture chill for an hour and put some on a lettuce leaf and it was amazing!


Yum and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment